- Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl. Slice the butter into small pieces and rub into the dry ingredients (for the best dough make sure your hands as well as the bowl and butter are cold). Add cranberries and mix.
- Whisk the egg with the milk and cream. Add to the dough to form a loose ball. Knead carefully with just a little flour on your kitchen table until you have a uniform dough (careful not to over-knead or you won't get fluffy scones). Leave the dough covered in the fridge for two hours, or even better over night.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Roll out the dough aiming for a thickness of 3 cm. Cut out the scones with a round cutter (5 cm wide) or cut the into triangles (you can make your cutter non-stick by dusting it with flour). Leave the scones to rest in a cool place for 15 mins.
- Whisk the egg yolk and coat your scones (you can also use milk). Bake the scones on a tray lined with baking paper for about 10 - 12 mins until golden.
- Let the scones cool on a rack. While they cool, slice the strawberries and marinate them with the rose syrup and finely cut fresh mint leaves.
- Serve the scones with the strawberries and a scoop of clotted cream. The scones are best on baking day so what are you waiting for!